Pattern variation Adding Velcro fastenings to The Utility Coat
When I found this almost rubber like PU fabric from Ditto, I thought it would make a great version of The Utility Coat.
I wanted a more pared back style so I omitted the drawstring detail and gathered cuffs. The fabric has a fair bit of give so conventional button or stud fastenings aren't ideal. So I decided to use Velcro fastenings instead.
The Velcro is 22mmI wide and I simply cut 35mm lengths to create rectangles to fasten the front. I left the pocket flaps without a fastening. I didn't think they needed it. The pockets are slightly larger than the pattern pockets: finished measurements are 22 cm x 20 cm with 8 cm for the flap
The seams are finished throughout with twin needle stitching, as I liked the effect. I added a simple drawstring to the hood using the corded elastic and toggles available HERE
The finished result is perfect for summer showers.