Skip to main content
Adding Velcro fastenings to The Utility Coat
26th August 2020

When I found this almost rubber like PU fabric from Ditto, I thought it would make a great version of The Utility Coat.

I wanted a more pared back style so I omitted the drawstring detail and gathered cuffs.

The fabric has a fair bit of give so conventional button or stud fastenings aren't ideal.

So I decided to use Velcro fastenings instead. The Velcro is 22mmI wide and I simply cut 35mm lengths to create rectangles to fasten the front. I left the pocket flaps without a fastening. I didn't think they needed it.

The pockets are slightly larger than the pattern pockets: finished measurements are 22 cm x 20 cm with 8 cm for the flap

The seams are finished throughout with twin needle stitching, as I liked the effect.

I added a simple drawstring to the hood using the corded elastic and toggles available HERE

The finished result is perfect for summer showers. Buy the pattern HERE

Images by Charlotte Macpherson